KOMA's Fall field trip will be held on Saturday September 16, 2017 at the Garrard Mills in downtown Lancaster, Kentucky. Constructed in 1901 by J. S. Minor, this three story structure is clad with tin siding. The mill, located at 205 East Buford Street, was built as a roller mill for producing flour but later also manufactured animal feed. The mill was operating in the late 1970s and may have continued into the 1980s. In its earlier years, the company was known as the Garrard Milling Company. Overall, the mill is in good condition and still retains the original equipment. The mill is owned by James Bushnell, Deputy Garrard County Judge Executive. Mr. Bushnell also owns several other historic structures in Lancaster. He is graciously allowing KOMA members to tour this interesting mill.
Lancaster is the county seat of Garrard County which is located between Danville and Berea on KY Highway 52. Richmond is to the northeast, Harrodsburg to the northwest, Stanford to the southwest, and Nicholasville is to the north. Other highways going through Lancaster include US 27 and KY 39. Individuals attending the field trip should consult a Kentucky highway map or use a GPS device.
We will meet at the Mariachis Mexican Restaurant located at 515 Stanford Road (U S 27) in Lancaster at 11:30 AM. By meeting early, we can enjoy a time of fellowship during lunch and also receive instructions on visiting the mill. Also, all KOMA members and visitors wishing to tour the mill must sign a form which releases the mill owner James Bushnell and the Kentucky Old Mill Association (and its parent organization, the Society for the Preservation of Old Mills) from any and all liability of whatever nature and kind arising from touring the Garrard Mills and grounds. We look forward to seeing you on Saturday September 16, 2017.